ssl

Laurent Szyster l.szyster at ibm.net
Sun Jan 7 21:07:49 EST 2001

python at mattrussell.plus.com wrote:

> has anyone implemented any ssl connections in python?
> I am trying to get it to work on a win2k box (yuk).
>
> I understand that the unix implementation uses
> openSSL||SSLeay libraries.
>
> Does win *have* use the same?

Yes.

> More importantly, in python 1.5.2 ssl was availble as
> a third party patch that needed to be compiled in to
> the main disto - has python 2.0 rectified this and made
> it part of the distro?

No, SSL support is not compiled in the main distribution.
There are three ways to get around that problem:

1. (long) recompile python with SSL support enabled

2. (difficult) download m2crypto binaries from

	http://mars.post1.com/home/ngps/m2/

   understand how it works and add SSL support to your app

3. (easy) download stunnel binaries from

	http://www.stunnel.org

   to create an SSL tunnel between your python application
   and the SSL client or server.

Laurent Szyster