[Jython-users] Jython-2.0 released

Barry A. Warsaw barry at digicool.com
Thu Jan 18 15:46:41 EST 2001

On behalf of the Pythonlabs team, I want to extend my congratulations
to Finn Bock on the release of Jython 2.0 final.  This is a wonderful
milestone in the life of JPython and Jython.

Some of you are probably aware that I haven't been actively involved
in Jython development for many months.  With the Pythonlabs turmoil in
2000, I found that trying to lead two open source projects (Mailman
and Jython) while still contributing to CPython's development was
simply too much.  I ran out of cycles and something had to give.

Handing over the reins of Jython project leadership to Finn was
actually quite an easy decision.  He has been a valued contributor to
the project for a long time, and I knew that he would serve Jython
well.  The Jython 2.0 release reinforces the wisdom of that decision!
:)

Jython is and continues to be a very important part of the Python
world.  The Pythonlabs team encourages and salutes Finn's work on
Jython and will continue to work with him on various issues such as
language development, CPython compatibility, and legal issues.

I leave Jython in good hands -- thanks Finn Bock, Samuele Pedroni, and
all the other Jython developers.

-Barry

Barry A. Warsaw
PythonLabs at Digital Creations