storing passwords

Andrew MacIntyre andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au
Sun Jan 14 15:32:06 EST 2001

On Sun, 14 Jan 2001, Brian Waskiewicz wrote:

> I have a Python script that makes a Telnet connectio to a remote server and
> right now I have the password just stored within my code.  I'd don't like
> the idea of leaving the password available like that (the script runs
> automatically every night, so I can't prompt the user for it), so is there
> any other way to store the password in some kind of encrypted fashion??

I wrote a simple module that stores the account,password pair as an XOR
"masked" string in a dbm file with the hostname as the key.  The module is
only published (put in the PYTHONPATH) as a .pyc/.pyo, so the full source
is not generally readable.

This is only obscurity however, not real security.

E-mail: andrew.macintyre at aba.gov.au    (work) | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au  (play) |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
        andymac at pcug.org.au           (play2) |        Australia