do python programmers avoid the mac?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at abnoba.intevation.de
Tue Jan 16 05:51:42 EST 2001

In article <93v8da$k9l$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,
	cpsoct at my-deja.com writes:
> Does LinuxPPC come with python installed?

It comes with the standard CD (python 1.5.2 for LinuxPPC2kQ4)
and installs if you do not deselect it.

> Or is there a build out there to download that is ready to run,
> or do you have to compile it as the chipset is different?

I compiled python 2.0 without problems from source.
You should be able to use a .src.rpm without problems.
There are many compiled rpms for GNU/Linux/ppc around.

> I am on an old PPC and finding python mac IDE a rough go.
> I am considering buying the LinuxPPC CD, is it a good way to go?

I like it, so I can recommend it, but your milage might vary.

If you download the CD note that it is a bit troublesome to get the
image mounted or burned correctly.

> Is there another LinuxPPC distribution besides the one @
> http://www.linuxppc.com/

Yes.
Debian is available for ppc architechture.
	http://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/

YellowDog 	http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/

There is Suse, MkLinux, TurboLinux and probably more..
	Bernhard
The FreeGIS Project                                         (freegis.org)
FSF Europe                                            (www.fsfeurope.org)