Web devel with python. Whats the best route?

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 15 07:35:22 EST 2001

"Erno Kuusela" <erno-news at erno.iki.fi> wrote in message
news:kud7dpg247.fsf at lasipalatsi.fi...
    [snip]
> that's what i said, they are a part of the information :). http
> tries to be stateless in principle (cookies aren't part of the http
> spec i think).

Wrong, see RFC 2109, "HTTP State Management Mechanism".  That is
where cookies are specified in detail.

> the content behind the session-unique url is perfectly cacheable by
> intermediate proxies, unlike for cookies.

See session "4.2.3 Controlling Caching" of rfc2109; cookies give
you very fine-grained control of what is intended to get cached
where (actually, the Cache-control header does that, but, it's
designed to work with HTTP state management, i.e., cookies).

> a large percentage of the people i know are using either junkbuster or
> a browser (such as mozilla and konqueror) that can enable/disable
> cookies on a per-site basis.

Bully for them.  If they decide that they don't want client-side
state to be stored on their machine, I guess that makes sense for
them; so, use the standard-specified way to offer up state for
client-side storage (i.e., cookies) and let the users decide.

Alex