Should I learn Python or Java?

zdweeb zdweeb at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 6 20:03:17 EST 2001

David,

I too am a VB programmer. I faced the same questions about a month ago and
started out to learn both Java and Python. I even had access to computer
based training via my company. But found Python to much more fun and easier
to learn. I was amazed at how little code could accomplish such big tasks. I
have now been able to integrate it into my job for small tasks. I can write
a 3 line re that can save some of my co-workers time in comparing files ect.
ect. My advice is look at both and see what appeals to you. If you come to
the python newsgroup asking what to learn most responses will be python.

Just my opinion.
-- zDweeb

PS If Python is your choice then you owe it to yourself to check out Zope
http://www.zope.org
"Charlotte Williams" <charlottwilliams at mediaone.net> wrote in message
news:HEO56.5504$y9.2881293 at typhoon.we.rr.com...
> Hello,
>
>     I am a Visual Basic programmer who wants to increase his knowledge of
> programming languages.  Now that the curses, boos, and barrage of rotten
> fruit are out of the way, I would like to ask this group a few questions
> :-) ...
>
> I notice that there is a lot of demand for Java programmers.  The only
> experience I have with an OO language is Smalltalk.   My questions are:
>
> 1.  Which language would be best to learn, Java or Python.  From a VB
> standpoint, which has the least learning curve?
> 2.  Is going from object-based to object-oriented programming that huge a
> jump?   I want to learn an OO language, however I plan on utilizing it in
my
> career.
> 3. Which one is the most "fun" to program in?
> 4.  Is Python multi-platform?  How is it's performance compared to JAVA in
> an internet situation?  It's reliability?
> 5.  Do you for see Python as becoming a major player like Java servlets
and
> MTS?  Can you see Python demand outstripping Java demand in 2 years time?
>
> Many of these questions are in response to a post I saw earlier where
Python