pyXML support for XSL tranformations??

David C. Ullrich ullrich at math.okstate.edu
Sat Jan 27 16:55:02 EST 2001

In article <3A7232DB.C576B547 at ogbuji.net>,
  Uche Ogbuji <uche at ogbuji.net> wrote:
> "David C. Ullrich" wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, 20 Jan 2001 22:02:31 GMT, Chris Ryland <cpr at emsoftware.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > [...]
> > >
> > >The Fourthought people (www.fourthought.com) also have an
open-source
> > >XSLT processor written in Python.
> >
> > I was gonna say that but I wasn't sure they'd got something that
would
> > work with the latest version of Python.
>
> 4Suite >= 0.10.0 works with Python 1.5.2 and 2.0.  Current version is
> 0.10.1
>
> > I have the 4Thought XSL stuff from a little while ago. When I
> > installed it I had to replace the current (1.5.2) Python xml.dom
> > with one that came with 4Thought, which I gather was an
> > older version.
>
> No, actually, PyDOM is now obsolete.  4DOM is now the "official"
> full-blown DOM from the Python/XML SIG and included in PyXML.
>
> Furthermore 4Suite >= 0.10.1 bundles PyXML for easier installation.
>
> > I didn't like this but I did it and it works fine.
>
> As it should always have.
>
> > Q: Does the current 4Thought XSL stuff get along a little
> > more _cleanly_ with Python? (I actually haven't got around
> > to getting Python 2.0 precisely because it took a little
> > tweaking to get the XSL going in 1.5.2...)
>
> I'd have to know what exactly you found unclean before.

I've composed about three replies to this so far - I finally
found my notes on that install process during the course
of writing the second one. Understanding a few things a
little better than I did back then I now see that the
problem was that I'm a friggin idiot. I could include
more details if you want but it would bore all the people
who already know I'm an idiot - let's just leave it at that.
For the record there was really nothing at all unclean
about it, I only got that impression because of various
utterly stupid things I did.

Once I got it working it went right onto my I-don't-see-
how-you-guys-can-give-this-stuff-away list, btw - hope
you don't have the idea I've been wanting my money
back or anything.

> There is no
> reason why you can't download 4Suite-0.10.1.tar.gz, untar it, run
> "python setup.py install", and be completely ready to go.

You only think that because you're not stupid enough to find
ways to screw it up...

--
Oh, dejanews lets you add a sig - that's useful...

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/