Q: Is there any good documentation on MAPI using Python

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Tue Jan 2 14:36:14 EST 2001

In article <92ftub$lev$1 at panix3.panix.com>, Aahz Maruch wrote:
>In article <zIK26.3737$4c.280470 at ruti.visi.com>,
>Grant Edwards <grante at visi.com> wrote:
>>
>>I'm using a Python program to fetch e-mail messages (and
>>associated attachements) via MAPI.  You're welcome to it:
>>
>>  ftp://ftp.visi.com/users/grante/python/mfetch.py
>
><snicker>  So how's the BOFH these days?

Well, a few months back he decided that he didn't like having
non-Win9X machine on his network at all.  This is a bit of a
problem since our products are supported under WinNT, Win2K,
Linux and a couple other Unices.  So he set up a second
"unsupported" network and moved all of the development, test,
and support machines onto it.

All that's left on his "production" network are Win9X machines
that are running mostly MS-Office and are remotely administered
by him: you can't mess with network settings, for example, but
you can (fortunately for me) install things like Python.

So the Windows machine running the mfetch.py program and the
Linux machine to which it was sending the mail are now on
different networks.  He also futzed with the MS-Exchange SMTP
server so that it only accepts messages from internal machines
if they have certain From: headers.

This stopped my mfetch.py program from doing anything useful
for a few days.  Then I realized that the firewall between the
networks allows certain types of traffic (notably HTTP and ssh)
to cross.  (For some reason he only allows ssh connections that
originate from ports below 1024 -- that had me confused for a
while.)

After installing an ssh client on my Windows machine to forward
a socket to the SMTP server on my Linux machine, I am again
happily reading my mail under Linux.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Intra-mural sports
                                  at               results are filtering