Python vs. PHP (& Java?)

Ben Ocean zope at TheWebsons.com
Thu Jan 4 13:31:31 EST 2001

Since I started this thread two weeks ago (I apologize: I knew it would
cause problems but I just had to know...), I've come to these conclusions:

PHP is a hacker's language. Why else would GNU choose Python to write
Mailman, O'Reilly not publish a book on the subject, etc.? PHP appears to be
a quick fix.

Python took a long time coming because good things don't happen overnight.
It's clean code: the opposite of a hacker's language.

Python can efficiently do round trips as good as any language most of the
time.

I may still have to learn Java because it's robust and more popular
(currently) than Python :(

Thanks for your help!
BenO

-----Original Message-----
From: python-list-admin at python.org [mailto:python-list-admin at python.org]On
Behalf Of Kemp Randy-W18971
Sent: Thursday, January 04, 2001 7:53 AM
To: 'Alex Martelli'; python-list at python.org
Subject: RE: Python vs. PHP (& Java?)

Hey, guys!  We are all getting philosophical again - embracing either
Darwinism, pragmatism, etc.  We would all get into big trouble if some
academic professor of philosophy took up Python programming as a hobby,
subscribed to this newsletter, and decided to shoot some holes in our
various philosophical viewpoints.