HTML embeded with python

Dave Kuhlman dkuhlman at rexx.com
Fri Jan 12 18:07:58 EST 2001

The Python-within-HTML processing in Zope is done by DTML (document
template markup language), which is a package within the Zope
distribution.  DTML can be used independently of Zope.  I tried
hooking DTML processing into my Python code.  It was easy
*and* cool.  I was able to pass the DTML processor a look-up
object, which DTML would use to find my objects and then call the
methods in them.

By the way, another thread just mentioned where to find and use the
implementation of ZODB (Zope object database) independent of Zope,
and I'm suggesting that it's possible to use DTML independent of
Zope.  And I'm pretty sure that the Web server inside Zope
(ZServer/Medusa) can be used independent of Zope.  Is Zope like a
toolkit, or what?  Can users of other languages get this kind of
loose coupling and reuse?  I don't think so.  That's kind of sad.

Also, I hope that the Zope people at Digital Creations are getting
plenty of credit for Zope.

  - Dave

--
Dave Kuhlman