Reading Microsoft Outlook Express .dbx files

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Wed Jan 10 15:51:44 EST 2001

[Steve Holden]
> The problem with the usual techniques of saving as text, and some
> mailing solutions, is that attachments are frequently ignored.

Sorry, no idea what that means.  Ignored by whom?  If I tell Outlook to mail
an attachment, Outlook does not ignore my suggestion <wink>.  On the other
end, the attachment Outlook generates is ignored only if the receiver
intentionally ignores it.

> I overcame the inability to deal with .pst files by importing
> from Outlook to OE.

I don't recall the details now, but last time I tried that I found that
"some kinds" of info got lost systematically during Outlook -> OE transfers.
So test that very carefully.  May have had something to do with HTML mail in
particular.

> I also imported my Netscape mail, though I had already managed
> to deal with that in Python.

Speaking of which, I believe some popular (with everyone but me <wink>)
non-MS Windows email clients offer to import your OE mail stores.  Perhaps
even Netscape.  So that's more code you could look at.

> all-my-eggs-now-firmly-in-one-basket-ly y'rs  - steve

just-don't-make-your-basket-so-full-that-bill-gates-gets-
    envious<wink>-ly y'rs  - tim