what GUI, please advise

Lyle Johnson ljohnson at resgen.com
Thu Jan 25 12:09:02 EST 2001

Marco,

You might also consider the FOX GUI toolkit:

    http://www.cfdrc.com/FOX/fox.html

and its Python bindings, called FXPy:

    http://fxpy.sourceforge.net

To address your specific points:

> - I'm going to run mostly on Unix, although it would be nice
> to be able to recycle my GUI knowledge when forced to
> write for Windows. Mac, not very important...

I think for all of the cross-platform GUIs for Python this is an understood
requirement; you write your GUI code in Python and it runs identically on
any platform that supports Python. There is no Macintosh port of FOX,
however, and I wouldn't anticipate one anytime soon.

> - A GUI builder is a very big advantage. allmost a must.

There is a GUI builder for FOX (see the links from the FOX home page) but I
haven't tried it out. I suspect it only outputs C++ code, though.

> - I like there to be all the widgets one would expect from
> the Windows world.

FOX has a pretty complete set of widgets and has a Windows-ish look and
feel, but you'd need to evaluate this for your own needs. It also has very
nice support for external technologies like XDND4 drag-and-drop on Linux,
and OpenGL.

> - Easy of use for the programmer.

I suppose that's also pretty subjective, but yes, I think FOX has an
especially clean API that is easy to program against.