Weird ftplib problem

noahspurrier at my-deja.com noahspurrier at my-deja.com
Wed Jan 10 13:57:58 EST 2001

I tested this and it works on Solaris 2.6 with Python 1.6
and on Windows 2000 with Python 2.0. Try your script on another
system and see what happens.

What version of Windows are you using? What version of Python?
I assume version 1.52 or earlier because I can find the lines of
source that your error mentions in lib/ftplib.py. This may also
be a configuration problem. I assume that 'python' is
in your path, yes? That is the only environment variable that
you need for the standard libraries. ... I rarely have
configuration problems with Python.

Yours,
Noah Spurrier

In article <3A5B3E31.EC9FE6A6 at hotmail.com>,
  Joonas <keisari_ at hotmail.com> wrote:
> I am using ftplib to transfer a file into a server.
>
> When I run it in IDLE it works fine but when I run it from command
line
> by typing 'python ftp.py' it gives the following error message.
>
> Traceback (innermost last):
>   File "ftp.py" line 2, in ?
>     siirto = FTP('ftp.saunalahti.fi')
>   File ".\lib\ftplib.py", line 87, in __init__
>     self.connect(host)
>   File ".\lib\ftplib.py", line 98, in connect
>     self.file = self.sock.makefile('r')
> _socket.error: No makefile() function has been installed

> What could be wrong?
>
> Joonas.

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/