Migrating to perl?

Thomas A. Bryan tbryan at python.net
Sat Jan 6 08:25:11 EST 2001

Joel Ricker wrote:

> I've mentioned before that I'm real new to OO.  How should I approach it in
> Python?  Has anyone learned OO just from Python?  Or should I study OO
> theory else where and then apply it to Python?  I know this is bordering on
> the question of how do I do OO but I really know very little about it...
> enough to know that I can benefit from it and basic ideas.  I understand the
> idea of a class and building objects from it but anything beyond that is
> still really new to me.  Any suggestions?

Python was the first OO language that I actually used to write programs.
(I had already read almost half-way through _Thinking_in_Java_ at
http://www.bruceeckel.com/TIJ2/.  While it's specific to Java, it does a
pretty good job even in the first chapter of describing some OO concepts.)
I found that programming in Python clarified a lot of stuff that I had been
reading about OO languages.  The complexities of C++ were gone, leaving me
with a very stream-lined language where it was simple and fun to start
writing some classes.  After using Python for six months, writing and
experimenting with OO programs, I found that my Perl and C code started to
look much nicer.  I also found that Java and C++ were much easier to learn.

if-id(you)!=id(me)-then-YMMV-ly yours
---Tom