Jython-2.0 released

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Fri Jan 19 01:40:01 EST 2001

[Jython announcement]

"Tom" <nospam at nospam.com> wrote in message
news:m8P96.185124$59.49360823 at news3.rdc1.on.home.com...
> I thought that what existed before was a python enterpreter written in
Java.
> But this sounds like a Python compiler.  Is this something new?
>
> Tom.

No. JPython was similar to standard (C)Python in that it compiled to
intermediate byte codes and interpreted them. The smart part was compiling
to *Java* bytecodes instead of Python bytecodes. Jython programs can be run
by any Java Virtual Machine implementation, and therefore get pretty amazing
integration with Java classes. It is possible to have Python classes
subclassing Java classes, and vice versa.

Jython 2.0 is an implementation of JPython which

  a)    Avoids impinging on CNRI's rights to the name JPython, and

  b)    Brings the Python language synatx into line with Python 2.0

although-2.1-is-just-around-the-corner-ly y'rs  - steve