BeOpen 2.0 vs PythonWare

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at effbot.org
Sat Jan 20 01:16:52 EST 2001

Dan Rolander wrote:
> I'd like to hear your thoughts on the two different Win32 distributions,
> BeOpen vs. ActiveState. Why should I choose one over the other?

hey, you forgot one: the PythonWare PY20 distro:

    http://www.pythonware.com/downloads.htm

here's a quick overview (off the top of my head; I've probably
forgotten something, as usual)

the PythonLabs distribution (aka BeOpen):

    + python 2.0
    + tkinter with tk/tcl 8.2.3
    + expat
    + zlib
    + self-contained windows installer
    + no restrictions on redistribution
    + available for windows and linux

the current PythonWare PY20 distribution contains the same
stuff, with the following differences:

    + pil 1.1.1
    + tkinter 3000 components: tk booster patches
    + xml-rpc, soap support
    +/- doesn't mess with the registry/system directory
    + commercial support available
      (for pythonworks pro customers)
    + minimal footprint (distribution exe is 2 megs)
    + can coexist with beopen python 2.0
    - documentation not included
    - available for windows only (unix versions coming soon)

Cheers /F