Scripting vs. whatever, again (was Re: Long Live Python!)

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Fri Jul 13 09:56:55 EDT 2001

In article <3B4E69D5.5CB278F2 at engcorp.com>, Peter Hansen wrote:
>Grant Edwards wrote:

>Just to clarify, I did not write the above.  I merely quoted it.
>
>> I interpret "scripting" as automating a series of operations
>> that would probably be done interactively by a user otherwise.
>
>Would you call a C program which implemented those same steps
>a "script" ?
>
>(I realize you would not typically use C for this, but if you did?)

Probably not.  To add to my "definition", I guess I would call
it a script if it was done using the same set of "primitives"
that the user would have done had it been done interactively.
Primitives like the "ls" "find" "rm" executables found on Unix
systems.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!
                                  at               FISH-NET-FISH-NET-FISH-NET-FISH-NET-FISH!!