SlightlyOffTopic: syntax-highlighting in XEmacs running on Windows

Andrew Walkingshaw andrew-usenet at lexical.org.uk
Thu Jul 26 09:50:40 EDT 2001

In article <3B601B45.4070107 at nospiced.ham.devis.com>, Tom Jenkins wrote:
>Thomas Weholt wrote:

[(X)Emacs/Win32, python-mode]

>Actually Thomas you can have a file named .emacs (at least under Win2k
>though I think you could do it in NT also)

Here, under WinME, using the binary XEmacs 21.4 distribution;

XEmacs 21.4 checks, before .emacs, for a directory .xemacs/ and files in
that:

.xemacs/
       init.el
       custom.el

so that settings from M-x customize don't clobber those in your .emacs.

Also, XEmacs ships with python-mode by default: might you not have
font-lock-mode enabled? The relevant excerpt from my init.el is

(font-lock-mode t)

though I'm sure some Emacs expert can indicate what I -should- be using
:)

HTH,
Andrew
--