I'd like to Contribute to an Open Source Project

Mike Brenner mikeb at mitre.org
Tue Jul 3 11:47:55 EDT 2001

Oleg Broytmann <phd at phd.fep.ru> said: "I have some time on my hands.  It seems like a good opportunity to do some noncommercial Python programming.  Like my hero TV's Frank on MST3K, I'm more suited to be the lackey than the mad scientist."

These 3 suggestions could help many Python Open Source projects,
because they would show how to use some of Python's advanced features.

  1. A graphics demonstration with wxPython
	(that is, wxWindows using Python)

	Example Needed: A graphics screen
	where we can draw lines and circles,
	and then select an area on the screen
	for cutting to and pasting from
	the CLIPBOARD.

	Example Needed: Bit Blit, which lets
	us move a rectangle on the screen
	(and everything in it)
	very quickly.

  2. Key-down, Key-up interrupt for the Keyboard:

	Example Needed: An organ which plays
	a tone for the keys on the keyboard.

	Rationale:
	  (1) To program games,
	  (2) to comply with handicap requirements,
	  (3) to move bit blits around a graphics screen
	  (4) to make an organ that plays chords
	  (5) to gain access to the SHIFT-INSERT combination
	  (6) to use all keys as hot keys, when desired.

  3. A simple server page using Unicode

	Example Needed: The program would
	put up a web page that asked you to
	click what language you wish to
	speak and to ask a question in that language.
	The choices would be Russian, English,
	Chinese, Japanese, Hebrew, Arabic,
	Spanish, Hindi, Armenian, and one or two others.
	Instead of answering the question, let the
	application simply print a screen in
	the selected language, which says
	"Here is your question: " followed by the question.

	Rationale: Python handles some Unicode and
	the Internet handles some Unicode, but a
	fully working example would be very nice
	to sell Python to eCommerce sites.