Language change and code breaks

Konrad Hinsen hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr
Thu Jul 12 05:02:50 EDT 2001

Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> writes:

> I'm not sure that the purpose of a//b would be all that evident to a new
> Python programmer, especially one whose first programming language is

Certainly not, but it would be evident that it has some special meaning
and that you better find out what it is.

> Python.  I've never seen // used as an operator before other than to

So what?

> At the very least C, C++ and Java programmers should be familiar with the
> purpose of

Any experienced programmer will probably figure out what that means.
Still, it's a hack. The code doesn't say what you want to do, it says
what you *don't* want to do (i.e. integer division).

Konrad.
Konrad Hinsen                            | E-Mail: hinsen at cnrs-orleans.fr