PEP 238 (revised)

Bruce Sass bsass at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Mon Jul 30 15:18:51 EDT 2001

On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, Chris Barker wrote:
> Bruce Sass wrote:
>
> > I see __past__ as one last chance to easily check your code to see if
> > the associated feature upgrade broke it, after that it is either fix
> > the code or have it depend on an older Python.
>
> Which is exactly why I think a way to indicate that code depends on a
> older Python is important!

The best you could expect though is an indication of which version(s)
of Python the code has been tested with (the worst is completely bogus
info!, but that depends on the implementation).  A program that could
look at a .py and determine which versions of Python it looks like it
will run with would be good, and more likely to do what you want for a
larger amount of wild code.

I don't dispute the utility of knowing something about which versions
of Python a program has been used with, I just don't think there is
enough utility to warrant adding code to Python to accomplish it
[additional worry: someone would then want Python itself to know about
 all its previous versions and the incompatibilities between them, so
 it could dispatch the program off to the `best' interpreter for that
 program (lots of platform and flavour specific code?)].

- Bruce