Writing documentation

Chris Barker chrishbarker at home.net
Mon Jul 9 15:01:08 EDT 2001

Dennis Voss wrote:
> > I'd like to document my Python modules in the same way the standard
> > modules are documented, with LaTeX and the Python styles and things. It's
> > not exactly a howto, and it'l look a lot like a mini-library reference,
> > right? So how do I compile it? How do I generate all the nifty HTML?
>
> Take a look at:
> http://py-howto.sourceforge.net/writing.html
>
> They are using LaTeX (why not docbook?)

Because this was started before docbook was as common as it is now, and
because LaTeX is an excellent tool.

> for doing so.
> There are tools in every TeX distribution for generating PS, PDF, HTML ...

Well, sort of. The Python docs generating set-up works great on *nix,
but not really on other systems. However, this doesn't mean you can't
use it elsewhere. generating the the LaTeX, and the PS and printed (and
probably pdf, you could build this from the PS anyway) verison you could
do anywhere. Getting Tex2html to work is another matter. Do take a look
at:

http://www.python.org/doc/current/doc/doc.html

For more info. Don't be put off by the LaTeX, it is an excellent tool,
and with the existing docs as a template to work from, not that hard to
learn to use. YOu may grow to love it!

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker,