Large-scale Python (was: Language Niches (long))

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Mon Jul 30 20:29:16 EDT 2001

Cameron Laird wrote:
> Without contesting any of Paul's larger points, what
> are the facts here?  I believe:
> * Python is good for team-work
>   and big projects; and
> * There is increasing recogni-
>   tion and use of Python in
>   this role.
> What role has "language change" played in this, though?

To the extent that language changes have made the language
more self-consistent and easier to learn in other ways,
these changes might increase its suitability for work
requiring team-work.  I'm thinking of the great ease
we've had integrating new people into the team, without
ever once asking for "Python" to appear on a resume.

With any other language, I would have been much more
nervous hiring on people who looked under the table for
the snake when I first mentioned the language we use... ;)

--
Peter Hansen, P.Eng.
peter at engcorp.com