Python, C++, Java, Smalltalk, Eiffel,...

Thomas Wouters thomas at xs4all.net
Sun Jul 15 11:18:17 EDT 2001

On Sun, Jul 15, 2001 at 10:20:38AM -0400, kj0 wrote:

> Where can I find a reasonably non-partisan but also reasonably
> detailed comparison of the more popular OO languages (C++, Java,
> Python, etc.).  (All the comparisons I've found are clearly slanted to
> demonstrate the superiority of the authors' favorite OO language--I'm
> sure it would be easy to find one written by unapologetic Python
> advocates :-)  )

> I'm not looking to find out which of these languages is "better"; I
> don't care for ranking here.

The problem is that there isn't one "better", just "better in the eyes of
the author", and that is oddly enough also the reason why you, as you state
in the first paragraph, are unable to find one that isn't biased :)

> What I want to know is how the various
> popular OO languages compare in terms of OO and general programming
> features (e.g. multiple inheritance; classes-as-objects; garbage
> collection; closures; scoping; contracts; debugging; etc.).

I seriously think your best bet is to start learning each language. You
can't compare apples and oranges unless you ate them both, and you need to
learn that, for instance, you *peel* the orange first, and you avoid the
middle part of the apple, and you avoid the seeds of both these fruits (but
they are considered the best parts of other fruits.) It'll take the most
time, but it'll be the most satisfying answer, as programming language
preferences are pretty personal.

I think Python should be the strawberry. It's nice and small, easy to
digest, no need to bite chunks out of it, almost all of it is edible, and
whatever warts it has are plainly visible from the outside :)

I-had-strawberries-for-breakfast-ly y'rs,

--
Thomas Wouters <thomas at xs4all.net>