Language change and code breaks

Mirko Liss mirko.liss at web.de
Thu Jul 19 04:47:18 EDT 2001

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, Steve Lamb wrote:
[..case-sensitivity..]
>     Eh, preference is for case sensitivity.  Besides, I far prefer case
> sensitivity with tab completion than case insensitivity without.  :)

What about case-sensitive Python combined with case-insensitive
tab-completion in IDLE? With an option to switch it off, of course.

That way, beginners won't be bound to the 'case-sensitivity' discipline
by endless error messages but they'll be gently reminded when typing the
code.

Since that IDE is written in python, that function could be easily
extended to handle diacritics, umlauts, even smilies &c, if one
really thinks the students need this.

And if one doesn't like it, he or she can switch it off.

Let's keep Python really simple. We can always provide conveniences in
external tools which are not necessary for the functioning of the core
language.

Friendly regards,

Mirko Liss