Really Python leaks?

Andrew Kuchling akuchlin at mems-exchange.org
Wed Jul 18 11:18:26 EDT 2001

Vesselin Iliev Peev <VesselinPeev at operamail.com> writes:
> I hope this is somehow not true, and perhaps Insure++ is incorrectly reporting
> these, but has anyone tested Python in this way with a similar tool?

Actually that probably isn't too surprising.  Some of the C code,
particularly in module initializers, will allocate memory for a
dictionary or other structure, and then not free it.  For earlier
versions of Python, the developers had access to a copy of Purify; I
don't know if they still do.

Fixing these leaks isn't a big priority, because usually the
interpreter will only be finalized before the program exits anyway.
Still, if you can provide more information about where the leaks occur,
perhaps they can be fixed.

--amk