Python and DB support (was: Re: Is Python Dead?)

Roman Suzi rnd at onego.ru
Tue Jul 3 09:46:20 EDT 2001

On Tue, 3 Jul 2001, Alex Martelli wrote:

>"Roman Suzi" <rnd at onego.ru> wrote in message
>news:mailman.994155184.16109.python-list at python.org...
>> Anyway, I wanted to say that some generic (!=Windows only) ADO
>> could help for those who consider Python for tasks usually
>> done with PHP or ASP.
>
>We seem to keep hitting a brickwall here.  Let's try an analogy.

-skip Python vs. ASP -

I have not used ASP. (I must confess, I have not even looked into ASP
deeply and had no knowledge ASP could be used with other languages than
Basic (or whatever). My assumption was that ASP is like PHP.

Thanks for lesson!

>http://phplib.netuse.de/documentation/documentation-3.html#ss3.1
>After studying that page a bit, unless I'm missing something,
>it appears to me that this interface is *VASTLY* inferior to
>the Python DB API.

I do not believe it. PHP is so widely used with databases
that I cant believe it's database connectivity is that bad!

>It may very well be that it's worthwhile designing a higher
>level, somewhat ADOlike superstructure on top of the DB API,
>but, if so, then it DEFINITELY cannot be because of some
>kind of "competition" between Python and PHP -- much less,
>of course, "between Python and ASP", which is as peculiar a
>"competition" as "between Python and Unix" or "between
>Python and the JVM"...!!!

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--
_/ Russia _/ Karelia _/ Petrozavodsk _/ rnd at onego.ru _/
_/ Tuesday, July 03, 2001 _/ Powered by Linux RedHat 6.2 _/