PEP: Defining Python Source Code Encodings

Roman Suzi rnd at onego.ru
Tue Jul 17 16:57:39 EDT 2001

On Tue, 17 Jul 2001, Bengt Richter wrote:

>I think you're right about #! triggering confusion, but I think a fixed keyword
>as a prefix is helpful when e.g., grepping for files with directives.
>
>I withdraw my #!pragma (or #!pythma ;-) suggestion and propose
>r'^\s*#pragma\s' as the magic line prefix regular expression.

I think, this has no chance to be included into Python.
Or Python will be messier than C++ is now.

I do not believe pre-tokenizer directives are required...

.spy things could be handled even now, so the overhead will
be only for those who need it:

--- file.spy ---
#!/usr/bin/prepython
#!pragma
   $!pythma
#!pyth on
#!pyth off

Sincerely yours, Roman Suzi
--
_/ Russia _/ Karelia _/ Petrozavodsk _/ rnd at onego.ru _/
_/ Tuesday, July 17, 2001 _/ Powered by Linux RedHat 6.2 _/