[Q] Python, GUI, and Java

Robert Amesz rcameszREMOVETHIS at dds.removethistoo.nl
Wed Jul 18 19:01:18 EDT 2001

Young-Jin Lee wrote:

> Can I use Pythong to develop a client application with a GUI?

Pythong, unfortunately, is single threaded. It's a pretty thick thread,
though. For multithreading, use Snackless: its threads are painfully
thin indeed.[*] <g>

> It looks like I should you Tkinter. How powerful is it?

Or wxPython. That's pretty powerful, powerful enough to program a
Delphi-lookalike in. (Just look for Boa Constructor, it's on
Sourceforge, IIRC.)

> How easy is it? And is there any way to connect Python application
> and Java application?

For Jython it shouldn't too be hard. For CPython, though... it all
depends on what you mean by 'connect'. But, unless I'm very mistaken,
you can't use Tkinter or wxPython in Jython programs. You'll have to
use Java's 'native' GUI, i.e. the AWT or Swing.

Robert Amesz
--
[*] For any newbies out there: the entire first paragraph is just a bit
of facetious disinformation.