trouble installing Python-2.2a1.exe

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Fri Jul 20 21:54:32 EDT 2001

[Tom Good]
> I downloaded the Python-2.2a1.exe installer from SourceForge, and
> verified that the MD5 sum is correct.  When I run it under Windows
> 2000 Professional [Version 5.00.2195], I get an error dialog that
> says:
>
> 16 bit Windows Subsystem
>
> The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction.
> CS:020c IP:0115 OP:0f 00 00 00 00 Choose 'Close' to terminate the
> application.
>

> Any ideas?

Just general ones:

Reboot.

Use Windows Update to make sure you've got all the critical MS fixes.

Like the splash screen says, close *all* other programs before trying to
install.  Especially make sure to disable virus checkers (no, Python isn't a
virus, but virus checkers work at very low levels and often interfere with
normal operation).

Don't try to install from a network (copy the installer to your boot drive
first).

Make sure you have enough disk space.

Install from an account with Admin privileges.

You didn't say how far it got (if it got anywhere at all), but if you're
being "creative", try accepting the defaults.

There was even one case (but on Win98SE) where the install didn't work until
the user hit the ENTER key instead of clicking with the mouse, presumably
due to some machine-specific conflict with the video and/or mouse drivers.

Try a different machine.

Cheer up:  you're the only person it doesn't work for <wink>.

business-as-usual-for-windows-ly y'rs  - tim