Python speed

Paul Winkler slinkp23 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 10 14:44:50 EDT 2001

tyler spivey wrote:

> python is way slower than c. that's no big deal. but:
> 1. is python slower than perl
> 2. is python slower than ruby
> 3. is python slower than lua (some kind of scripting language)
> i want to know if python, or lua would be a good thing to design a mud in. probably not lua since i think it is dead.

We've had some recent threads about this...
You may want to see http://www.bagley.org/~doug/shootout/
but be sure to read the fine print to understand what the tests really do and
don't tell you. For your application I doubt there will be any speed problem
with python or any other comparable language.

I noticed a MUD server in the Useless Python source code examples:
http://home.jam.rr.com/mspiggie/

> why are they way more modules for ruby than python?

Well, there's a lot of good stuff not included in the standard distribution,
either because it's too large, or because it's not of sufficient general
interest.
Check out the Vaults of Parnassus:

--
custom calendars & printing: http://www.calendargalaxy.com