GUI for Fortran under Linux

ERIC JONES ejones17 at austin.rr.com
Fri Jul 6 00:43:51 EDT 2001

Fortran:
f2py works pretty well at wrapping most f77 and f90 codes.  PyFort is also a
good candidate, although I have no experience with it.  Both of these help
you clean up the interface to functions reducing the number required
arguments considerably.  Once you've wrapped your functions using f2py, they
are usable from any Python script.  I would recommend using f77 as much as
possible to keep code portable to different machines (g77 is everywhere) and
also to ease integration with Python (f90 pointers don't have an easy
translation to C code).  Also, use Python for your memory allocation when
ever possible.

Visualization:
VTK (www.kitware.com) works well for visualizing scientific data and has
reasonable Python wrappers.  It has a steep learning curve, but also a
wealth of capabilities (many many helpful algorithms) beyond OpenGL.

GUI Toolkit:
VTK is supported by both TkInter and wxPython so you can use either.  We use
wxPython on both Linux and Windows and am happy with the choice.

regards,
eric