The Evolution Of Python

Ben C benc1 at today.com.au
Sun Jul 29 01:58:40 EDT 2001

IMHO the reason why C has survived as a language and not become an
endangered species like Rexx, pascal et al is because it has it's own
'niche' ... initially evolving alongside of the unix environment it
has become the most suited language (currently) for systems
programming ... this has been both its strength and its weakness ...
to add more functionality it has had to fragment itself into other
competing 'species' and hence we now have C++ (and all its sub
species) ... C is analogous to the carnivore of the programming
languages ... yes fast and efficient ... but is also in a lot of
respects quite crude ...

I don't think Python has it's own true 'niche' ... it competes well
with many other languages ... hence it has to either keep evolving
into a 'better' competing language or find a niche or other languages
will inevitably supplant it ... what will happen to all your Python
code then? Will you invest the time learning and re-writing it to the
newer language? ...