A use for integer quotients

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Mon Jul 23 02:42:03 EDT 2001

Moshe Zadka wrote:

> Quietly? Note that in the 2.2 release, there will be *no* change
> except
> that you *can* use //, and the only change is if you
> "from __future__ import division".
> In 2.3, as I understand it, you'll be able to get warnings out when
> you
> are doing something whose semantics will change.
> Or just running tests with all warnings except this one turned off,
> and going through the pinpointed lines.

Or you could not change it in the first place, eliminate the transition
period requirement, keep Python's integer division operator consistent
with other languages like it already was, not have to worry about the PR
hit it is going to necessarily take ("In Python the meaning of the
builtin operators change every third release!  What a crock"), and
prevent experienced Python programmers from shaking their heads in
confusion and wonder.

I simply cannot believe that the benefit that will be gained will be
worth the price in inconvenience.

/  \ There is nothing stronger in the world than gentleness.
\__/ Han Suyin
    Erik Max Francis' bookmarks / http://www.alcyone.com/max/links/
 A highly categorized list of Web links.