python as plugin language

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 2 12:53:28 EDT 2001

"John Roth" <johnroth at ameritech.net> wrote in message
news:tk16lbm516pmfc at news.supernews.com...
> > I may be missing something, but... doesn't the embed.c demo/example,
> > D:\Python-2.1\Demo\embed\demo.c on a typical Python install on Win32
> > for ex., do exactly what you require...?  Well, almost -- it doesn't
> > So, WHAT am I missing...?
>
> The fact that my C:\Python21 directory doesn't contain any directory
> named "Demo"? Where do I get it? It wasn't in my "typical" Win32
> installation.

Darn, you're right -- the Demo directory only comes when you
install the *source* distribution (which is why I have it under
D:\Python-2.1, where I have the sources installed, rather than
on D:\Python21, where I have the normal installation).  I do
apologize for wrongfully believing you were missing something
"under your nose" -- sorry: it's *NOT* among the stuff one
routinely gets -- ONLY with the sources-package.

Let's say: if you're going to do any embedding or extending
of Python with C, it's a *VERY GOOD* idea to install the
source distribution of Python too.  This should probably be
emphasized in the docs AND in the download page too, I guess!

You don't need to *build* the source distribution (though
it can't hurt, and if you set the options right in VC++ it
gives you the .PDB files pointing to your installed sources
which can help debug your extensions/embeddings), but having
it around as a huge working collection of examples is a
VERY good idea anyway.

Alex