not safe at all

Tom Good Tom_Good1 at excite.com
Fri Jul 13 19:27:17 EDT 2001

Dennis Roark <denro at earthlink.net> wrote in message news:<u26ukt4vot7b1qu02hkp8l1pnmdi0sfp3l at 4ax.com>...
> Python is an attractive language.  But for a large program I
> would still rather be forced to declare the name of a
> variable (and its type) rather than risk misspelling or
> misuse 500 lines later in the program.  My original note was
> not intended to be an indictment of Python, but only to
> bring up some reasons that for me make more strongly typed
> languages like C++ or Object Pascal better at coding very
> large projects.

People who are new to Python sometimes worry about dynamic typing and
assume that it will make for unreliable code.  I remember wondering
about the same thing at one point.

On the other hand, I have never heard a Python veteran complain about
dynamic typing based on actual experience.  Nobody seems to ever step
forward and say, "after years of using Python, I eventually gave up on
it and went back to C because of all the bugs I kept having related to
dynamic typing." :-)

If you like Python, I would encourage you to try it out and see for
yourself what happens.  Though it is easy to contrive examples where
such bugs might occur, in my experience with Python I very rarely
encounter them.  When I do, they are very easy to find and fix because
of Python's excellent traceback feature.

Tom