proposed language change to int/int==float (was: PEP0238 lament)

Marcin 'Qrczak' Kowalczyk qrczak at knm.org.pl
Wed Jul 25 08:47:30 EDT 2001

26 Jul 2001 00:03:56 +1200, Paul Foley <see at below> pisze:

>>   int < long < rational < float < complex
>
> Well, it could, I suppose, but that would be a good reason to avoid
> Python :-)
>
> What it *should* look like is this:
>
>   int < long < rational
>                        \
>                         + < [real] < complex
>                        /
>                   float

There are no real reals in programming. And Python's complex is as
inexact as float.

I don't understand you. What practical difference do these diagrams
yield? What is wrong in *consequences* of Guido's and mine model
which your model puts differently?

What happens if you int to float in your model? Rational to float?

--
 __("<  Marcin Kowalczyk * qrczak at knm.org.pl http://qrczak.ids.net.pl/
 \__/