PEP: Defining Unicode Literal Encodings

John Machin machin_john_888 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 13 19:57:18 EDT 2001

"M.-A. Lemburg" <mal at lemburg.com> wrote in message news:<mailman.995025922.12846.python-list at python.org>...
> Please comment...
>

> Syntax
>
>     The syntax for the directives is as follows:
>
>     'directive' WS+ 'unicodeencoding' WS* '=' WS* PYTHONSTRINGLITERAL
>     'directive' WS+ 'rawunicodeencoding' WS* '=' WS* PYTHONSTRINGLITERA
>
>     with the PYTHONSTRINGLITERAL representing the encoding name to be
>     used as standard Python 8-bit string literal and WS being the
>     whitespace characters [ \t].

(1) An example of a directive complying with the syntax might aid the
understanding.

   directive unicodeencoding='big5'

(2) Could we possibly have e.g. raw_unicode_encoding (my preference)
or RawUnicodeEncoding instead of rawunicodeencoding? The latter could
be a little boggling for humans of some cultures to parse; it reminds
me of the preposterously long words that are used to frighten
beginners in lesson 1 of German language classes e.g.
Dampfschiffahrtgesellschaftsdirektorsstellvertretersgemahlin.