typo.py - Warn of typographical errors in Python scripts

Alan Klietz alank at algintech.NOSPAM.com
Mon Jul 9 14:18:34 EDT 2001

Thanks for the pointer.  I did some quick comparisons and found that
PyChecker does overlap somewhat.  It doesn't check typos quite as
aggressively, however.  For example:

class Square:
    def __init__(self, width, height):
        self.width = width
        self.height = height

    def calculate_area(self):
        return self.width * self.height

def Run():
    s = Square(10, 20)
    c = s.calculate_areaa()   # oops
    print s.hieght   # oops
    import os
    print os.path.sep   # oops

PyChecker does do extra checking in areas not related to typography: omitted
doc strings, unused vars, return types, etc.   I agree it is a useful tool.
Probably for the most rigorous checking would be to use a combination of
both typo.py and PyChecker.

Regards,
-Alan

news:15177.59858.853310.961010 at beluga.mojam.com...