FEEDBACK WANTED: Type/class unification

Terry Reedy tjreedy at home.com
Tue Jul 31 13:31:35 EDT 2001

Guido
> I think 'self' would be confusing.  I'd like to propose 'cls'.

[long slew of suggestions deleted]

> Sigh.  I sympathize with the desire for a non-acronym, none of the
> proposals work for me -- they are all neologisms in this context.
> Ditto for "us" etc.

I'll drag in my suggestion from a slightly different context: 'cat'
for class and type.
Or if you insist on abbreviating 'class', then 'cas' is pronouncable.
To me, 'cls' is a toss-up with 'class' (whoops, keyword) or 'clas'.

In the absence of a aesthetically and logically compelling standard, I
suspect people will try lots of things for class methods.
--

Suppose one make all methods class methods and raises an exception in
__init__().  Would the result do what people want for a singleton?

Terry J. Reedy