Most important text processing examples

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Mon Jul 9 01:22:35 EDT 2001

In article <3dofqzqbvo.fsf at ute.cnri.reston.va.us>,
Andrew Kuchling  <akuchlin at mems-exchange.org> wrote:
>Chris Barker <chrishbarker at home.net> writes:
>>
>> Anyone writing a computer book should read this:
>> http://philip.greenspun.com/wtr/dead-trees/story.html
>> It's interesting (and humorous) reading for the rest of us as well.
>
>Indeed; that page cured me of my desire to write a book for physical
>publication.  Sure, there's the ego-thrill of a big wad of paper with
>your name on the front, but it also means you have to work to a
>deadline, errors in the final product can't be corrected, and you have
>to cope with potentially clueless editorial interference (sure, maybe
>your editor will offer lots of good suggestions -- what if they
>don't?).  Putting things on Web pages, you can fix errors whenever you
>like, write sections whenever you like, and can get direct feedback
>directly from readers; the advantages are all in the Web's favor.

Many people still prefer the solid feel of paper.  As for the other
problems, that's why smart people work with O'Reilly.  ;-)

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                 http://www.rahul.net/aahz/

"How come we choose from just two people for President but more than 50
for Miss America?"  --AEN