Language change and code breaks (fwd)

Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters mertz at gnosis.cx
Tue Jul 17 20:09:05 EDT 2001

|Nevertheless, I want to make the clear point (if I haven't already)
|that I'm not suggesting screwing every such programmer... just
|those who are actively using code which would be broken, who will
|not take the time (however small we might make it) to modify the
|source, and yet who "must" have their code work under the new Python.

Here's a scenario:

I--one of those professional programmers--write a Python script for
someone who runs a business, or a non-profit, or an agency, to run on
their CGI webserver.  This client knows not the first thing about Python
or about programming, nor do they maintain the webserver, just rent
space on it.  But still, this script does something useful for users of
the website--order products, or request documents, or send data to a
database.

I go away, no longer available.  The client's web hosting company
upgrades the Python installation to Python 3.7 (this is in the future
:-)).  Client's scripts break.

--
---[ to our friends at TLAs (spread the word) ]--------------------------
Echelon North Korea Nazi cracking spy smuggle Columbia fissionable Stego