Language change and code breaks

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Thu Jul 26 20:59:08 EDT 2001

[posted & mailed]

"Guido van Rossum" <guido at python.org> wrote ...

> But never mind, I'm giving up on making *Python* case-insensitive.
> The hostility of the user community is frightening.

I find this a saddening remark. Perhaps the vehemence of some of the
reactions is an indication of how much users value your language. I'm sure
you are quite capable of ignoring personal abuse and ill-informed comment
that suggests you do not have the best interests of the Python community at
heart. I comment on your proposals, as do many others, to offer an
alternative point of view (though I'm sure many times my comments have
already been thought about).

Do I take the emphasis to mean that you are thinking about making *some
other language* case-insensitive?

regards
 Steve
--