A modest PEP0238 suggestion

Bengt Richter bokr at accessone.com
Thu Jul 26 00:27:06 EDT 2001

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001 05:43:24 -0400, "Tim Peters" <tim.one at home.com> wrote:
[...]
>Dead serious apps don't take chances, and there are no restrictions in the
>Python license on redistributing it with your apps.  If you don't isolate
>your app from user whims, there's no guarantee it will continue to work even
>if they install a single bugfix to a shared Python.  I don't know which OS
>you're targeting, but it doesn't sound like you've thought about the big
>picture here, be it Linux or Windows.  The more important the app, the more
>important to cover your butt, and even pure bugfixes can break code that
>relied on accidents.
>
>test-what-you-ship-and-ship-what-you-test-ly y'rs  - tim

IOW, only ship bootable CDROMS.
No, wait, better ship the whole box, with 110/220 adapter ;-)

(Actually, I wouldn't be surprised to see this approach happen.
First-time cost of a major commercial application suite is often
considerably more than the bare-bones box part of the system
it gets bought for. The opportunities for patent/UCITA control
will be too much to resist. Your system will become a stack of
app bricks. Of course this general idea is obvious, but hereby
put in the public domain just in case ;-)