Python vs. Perl sockets (was Re: OO misconceptions

Tim Hammerquist tim at vegeta.ath.cx
Tue Jul 17 04:26:34 EDT 2001

Me parece que Ville Vainio <vvainio at karhu.tp.spt.fi> dijo:
> tim at vegeta.ath.cx (Tim Hammerquist) writes:
>
> > Fair enough.  =)   Python does sound like a good choice in this case,
> > despite Perl's strength in sockets.
>
> What do perl sockets have that python sockets don't? I'm doing
> logistics/socket stuff in Python also, and haven't had any problems
> with Python sockets and threads. A lot more goes into socket
> programming than bind& accept: concurrency, queues...

Not a challenge of Python's capability.  Just that Perl's socket
handling (AFAIK) is closer to the core code.  You are entirely correct,
however.

> *cough* Bareword file handles *cough*

* heh *   BFHs are pre-deprecated (just like global vars: not
technically preferred, but hardly less used)  =)

--
C combines all the power of assembly language with all
the ease of use of assembly language.