Why Johnny Can't Distribute Processing. WAS: Distributed computing using SOAP. What about speed ?

Galen Swint hcsgss at texlife.com
Thu Jul 26 15:51:58 EDT 2001

On Jul 26,  6:30pm, Tim Daneliuk wrote:

> 1) Aynchronous APIs to the messaging and queuing manager
> 2) Platform-neutrality: From mainframes to desktops
> 3) Class-Of-Service selection
> 4) Per-event, selectable write through to backing store
> 5) Bindings for C and Java, and also the major scripting langs: Python, TCL,
Perl, VBA
> 6) Remote management and recovery capability
> 7) Plugable security and encryption.

This is an interesting set of criteria. At GaTech, where I am the other 9 mos
of the year, we are working on a project called "Infosphere" and Infosphere to
address some of these concerns.  Right now we are built on top of a framework
called "ECho" which is a high-performance event messaging system that runs on
several platforms (mostly Solaris, WinNT, Linux, with support for Java
up-and-coming). Not all of this functionality is built in, but you can add it
easily. For instance, not only could you do logging to a backing store, but you
can do remote logging just as easily. Security, I think, is slowly being added,
and class-of-service is actually one of the major goals for the near-term.
ECho is a very efficient framework, and I think they built an RPC using it that
was faster than SunRPC.
Right now you're probably most interested in ECho:
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/systems/projects/ECho
but Infosphere is just ramping up
http://www.cc.gatech.edu/projects/infosphere

Galen Swint