Herbrip-0.1.0 released

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Jul 26 13:36:23 EDT 2001

[Posted and mailed]

Hi Phil,
good to see more Free Software for this topic.
Here is my feedback.

Herbivore seems to be too small as a project to get to critical mass.
If GNUPG is integrated nicely in the MUA people actually start using it.
(mutt is most advanced regarding the integration.)
Handling actually is as easy as you describe it, except for the Key part.

Herbivore avoids the hassle about the public key handling,
which is its main advantage. On the other hand, people will have to
learn this concept anyway for several reasons.

Herbivore cannot handle MIME well (AFAIC),
which is the hard part of MUA encrypting integration.
Something like RFC2015 PGP/MIME is needed for the concept, too.

Plugins for other platforms and reaching critical mass
are the main technical problems preventing mass email encryption.
Gnupg and the GPA-Project are trying to address this.
Hopefully the Germany Ministry of Commerce will financially
support another project to support excactly this goal.

	Bernhard

In article <slrn9lm5lq.5g3.philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk>,
	philh at comuno.freeserve.co.uk (phil hunt) writes:

> Herbivore is an initiative to encourage more people to  use
> encrypted email.

> Herbrip is a command-line implementation of the Herbivore
> protocol. In the future, I plan to extend Herbrip's functionality
> and  integrate  it into one or more open source email clients.

The FreeGIS Project                                         (freegis.org)
FSF Europe                                            	  (fsfeurope.org)