Is this a true statement: Part III

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Thu Jul 5 13:37:35 EDT 2001

In article <qq69kt8id8j4j8rbo75871ikcdk3bpnuos at 4ax.com>, Steve Horne wrote:

>Any language suffers when bad programmers use it. The biggest
>reliability problems in C++ are...

>2.  Overuse of C features such as pointers, when standard
>    container templates would be more appropriate - or function
>    pointer callbacks and awkward methods of finding their context
>    data when classes with virtual functions would be more
>    appropriate.

The availability of those C features is one of the major flaws
in C++.

>3.  The age-old inherited problems with pointers

Another flaw: C++ intentionally inherited those problems also.

>4.  Failing to use exception-safe patterns.

Why was the language designed so that there is such a thing
as an exception-unsafe pattern?

>In short, C++ is for large systems that are going to be around
>for years. There is a tradeoff in favour of greater reliability
>and better maintainability - provided you really write C++ and
>not some half-baked hybrid

The basic problem is that C++ _is_ a half-baked hybrid.

If you want a compiled, statically typed OO language, then I'd
recommend using a real one like Modula-3.  If you want
something more dynamic, try something like Python.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I'm receiving a coded
                                  at               message from EUBIE BLAKE!!