Tangent on wireless hysteria (was: Language Niches (long))

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Tue Jul 31 08:38:54 EDT 2001

In article <3B65FD2B.39BA0A95 at engcorp.com>,
Peter Hansen  <peter at engcorp.com> wrote:
>Cameron Laird wrote:
>>
>> I've lost count--is WAP essentially
>> dead now, or on the verge of utter
>> world domination?
>
>Dead, or at least in stasis waiting for a purpose in life.
>
>Have you ever tried (or imagined trying) to use a tiny
>LCD screen that can't even show your own full name as a
>way of accessing something with the degree of rich
>information as the Web has?
>
>(I work in wireless and the topic rarely comes around these
>days.  I'm quite sure some companies are working full speed
>on it, however, and I wish them the best of luck.)
			.
			.
			.
I confess I posted a bit disingenuously here.
My scant contact with WAP has given me no
reason to doubt that it's diving rapidly to
extinction, as Andrew Odlyzko describes in
Thanks to a correspondent for offering me this
URL.  Note that PLENTY of other apparently-
knowledgeable people (Clay Shirky, for
example), reinforce this judgment.  Anyway,
my real intent was to expose as delicately
as possible my surprise that Paul would use
WAP in his illustrations of language growth.
--

Cameron Laird <claird at NeoSoft.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net