Apache, CGI, Python...

Bengt Richter bokr at accessone.com
Wed Jul 11 17:38:41 EDT 2001

On Wed, 11 Jul 2001 07:20:50 -0500, "Chris Gonnerman" <chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net> wrote:

>Check the docs/FAQ at apache.org for CGI guidance.
>
>Of course, if you have a more specific question feel free to ask.

Can a python script be run efficiently and su-exec'd? I.e, Apache can run
CGI as a particular account owner (e.g.,for access to private directories
etc. that 'nobody' shouldn't see). Naturally it would work if you got
a whole instance of the interpreter to yourself, but does modPython take
care of su-exec properly? (I guess I should ask at modpython, but I'm here ;-)

Also, I'm wondering how widespread Python and/or mod_python is on ISP servers.
I have a C++ CGI program with some scriptable aspects, and I ++like Python,
so I am considering making the C++ an extension and having the main cgi be
pythonic glue and some scriptable stuff (scriptable script ;-).

Alternatively, how does embedding python in a C++ CGI program work out?

My main concerns are speed, su-exec, and availability.
TIA for opinions & advice.